June 20, 2010

Moi Moi

MOIN-MOIN


Ingredients

  • Black eyed beans 2 cups
 (peeled and cleaned)
  • Palm oil (or corn oil)1/3 cup
  • 
Onion (1/2)

  • Eggs (6) (Boil 4 eggs, peel and slice them)

  • Red bell peppers (1)
  • 
Ground crayfish (1 table spoon)

  • Scotch bonnet pepper (1)

  •  (1 )
(Maggi)
  • Salt (1tea spoon)
  • Banana leaf
  •  Direction:
  1. 
In a blender combine beans, onion (chopped) and red bell pepper (chopped).  blend until smooth

  2. Crack the two uncooked eggs into the batter
  3. Boil 2 table spoons of water. Dissolve  the salt and maggi cube in the boiled water and add into batter
  4. If using palm oil, bleach on high heat for 5 mins (set aside to cool). add cooled oil to batter  (DO NOT ADD HOT OIL into batter)
  5. With a whisk or spatula , mix batter thoroughly 
  6. Do a quick taste test on the batter and adjust for salt as needed
  7. Add 2 cups of water to a large pot, gently place a couple of banana leaves on the water
  8. Add 2 ladles of batter into a coned banana leaf (as pictured), add 1 half egg into each pack. fold gently into a cone (as pictured below)
  9. Gently place the cone inside the pot. Repeat steps 8 and 9 until batter is finished.
  10. Cover and steam on medium heat for 45mins-1hr




*If you choose to use a baking pan, pour the batter in a pan, cover with foil,bake in a preheated oven for about 30-45 mins 

* in place of leaf, you can use nylon or foil paper
* Banana leafs are readily available frozen in Asian grocery stores

15 comments:

justjoxy said...

Beautiful picture. Stunning in its simplicity.

9jaFOODie said...

awwww...Thanks Justjoxy! appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, you made me remember using banana leaves to cook moi-moi. I stopped cooking moi-moi long time ago because i didn't want to use foil or nylon because the are not healthy when use to cook food. But banana leaves is the best, is healthy and it also contains large amount polyphenols just like green tea. I have started cooking moi-moi again using banana leaves and it came out very good!!!

9jaFOODie said...

Thanks Much! stop by often

Surprise said...

This is called moin-moin 'elemi-meje' (moi-moi with 7 lives). Coincidentally, I took moin-moin this afternoon. I never knew banana leave can be used for moin-moin. I know of the normal moin-moin leave, nylon, foil, evaporated milk tin.

Keep up the good work.

Madame Sting said...

Are u in naija? IF not, where did u get banana leaves to use?

kitkat said...

Thanks for the recipe! and yes, where do u get banana leaves.. african shop??
I've never cooked moi-moi all by myself, i'll love 2 try it.

9jaFOODie said...

@Suprise.... Thanks a lot. yes, Banana leaves work as great as the local Moin Moin Leaves. lol@ Elemi Meji! I agree jere...all I need now is cold garri :)

@ Madame Sting.. No, I am in Canada.... I get banana leaves from my local Asian grocery store, they sell it frozen. :)

@KitKat.. It's not difficult at all, once you have the beans cleaned, you are good to go ( be mindful of water, adding too much to the paste might be disastrous. lol)
...... Most Asian grocery stores carry banana leaves in the Frozen section

Dipo Ladi's BlogSpot said...

#DearFutureWife.....please learn this things now....i would love you more for it....good job, ell done on yo Blog.

9jaFOODie said...

Thanks Much Dipo, I am sure future wife is listening :)

Dupe-baby said...

Great Job!!!!! Helps me alot

Anyways. With the Banana leaves from the Asian market, do I need to treat it before use. Wash it or something? Is there something that I am looking for when picking the leaves at the markets since it is frozen?

Adeola said...

Great Job!!!!! Helps me alot

Anyways. With the Banana leaves from the Asian market, do I need to treat it before use. Wash it or something? Is there something that I am looking for when picking the leaves at the markets since it is frozen?

9jaFOODie said...

@Adeola: Yes, you need to wash the leave after defrosting it. don't defrost it in hot water, leave it on the counter overnight. You don't have to select the leave, they are usually pre packaged.

Anonymous said...

D frozen leaves r more expensive dan d cost of d moi moi. Foil seems more practical.

Anonymous said...

Please has any one cooked moi moi with pop cans? like Canada Dry, coke etc. I just had a baby and I entertained my guest with it so its taking up all the space in my storage. Finding a better use for them since I've not been able to go to the recycling depot.