September 27, 2010

Gbegiri & Ewedu





Ewedu: Recipe for frozen chopped ewedu
Ingredient:
2 cups frozen ewedu ( it's sold as jute leaf in most Canadian grocery stores)
11/2 cup water
1 bullion cube
salt to taste
Iru aka ogiri (locust beans) (optional)

Direction
Add the water to a pot and set on medium heat. cover until the water starts  to boil
Add in the ewedu, do not cover
Stir continuously as ewedu has the tendency to boil over
Add in the salt, iru and bullion cube.
Cook for 5 mins.
Serve with stew and your choice of okele.


Craved this for like the longest time, so I decided to make some.the funny part is I never liked Ewedu or Amala when I was at home .

11 comments:

Aminat said...

wetin self with all these food, you just dey make person hungry now, off to the freezer to bring out my gbegiri too. you no go kill us oooo...lol...lol. Great on sis

9ja Foodie said...

HAHAHHAHA..:)

Chic Therapy said...

dayum!!!i am hungry..sigh!

Anonymous said...

where do u get ur ewedu from please. am in canada but i cant find them :(

9ja Foodie said...

You can find Ewedu in the frozen food section of Super Store, it's called "Jute Leaf". most asian grocery stores carries it as well. :)

Anonymous said...

Can you post a recipe or is this just a picture blog?

9jafood-ADDICT said...

I do post recipes for things I think pple might be interested in re-creating. if you have a particular recipe request, I will be more than happy to honor that :D

Punkie said...

Hi please post a recipe using frozen...I bouht te frozen but all the recipes I have are from fresh ( I m a non nigerian) so it wuld be really helpful for people like me

9jaFOODie said...

You got it Punkie.

trip said...

Men, how do you make Gbegiri? I have checked your website and blog, no show, or did I miss something? If not, special request pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee xxx :-)

9jaFOODie said...

Hooooooo.... Gbegiri? I thought I had a recipe on it, I will write one up for you.