May 29, 2011

Wara ( Tofu)


I spent a great part of my early childhood in Kwara and this was a staple. You could find it in any street corner , some people call it "Wara soya" others call it "Beske" or Tofu. This is a very healthy and tasty snack made from soy beans.

Ingredient
21/2 cups soybeans
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
water
Other ( Flour for breading, salt and pepper to taste, oil for frying)

Direction
  • Soak the soybeans overnight. Drain and grind in a blender ( add about 3 cups of water while grinding)
  • Strain soybeans through a cheese clothe or sieve
  • Pour the sieved milk into a big sized Pot, Boil the soy-milk on medium heat for 45mins to 1hr, stirring frequently( be careful, the milk has a tendency to boil over)
  • Reduce the heat, add in lime juice (do not stir), tofu should start to form. turn off the heat, cover the pot, set aside for 1hr
  • line a straining pan (colander) with cheese cloth, place in a sink, pour the tofu in carefully, fold the cheesecloth over
  • place colander over a pot, place a plate on top, put a heavy object or a gallon of water on the plate.
  • leave for 4-5 hrs. Your tofu should be set and ready to serve.
**Tofu is ready for consumption at this point, you can season it with salt and pepper and serve** or process further;
    • Cut the tofu into desired sizes, season with some salt and black pepper, season your flour with some salt, coat the Tofu with the flour. place the oil on medium heat, fry Tofu until golden brown in hot oil.
    Serve with a side of plum sauce or ketchup.
    EnJoY!!

    22 comments:

    Naijamum in L. said...

    I have never heard of these before...
    It really looks healthy
    In my quest for a healthier lifestyle...I HAVE to try this...!!!

    NikkiSho said...

    i dont like wara fried or not but my mum likes it..its good to know how its made tho and very healthy.i would try it again

    Prism of an immigrant said...

    Thanks for sharing this. I'll love to try it. I was introduced to wara during my sec school days. I've def missed it.

    9jaFOODie said...

    @Naijamum; u should!!!

    @Nikkisho; you don't?? how come? lol . yeiiii.... try it try it!!

    @Prism;it yum!! thanks much!

    Adura Ojo (Naijalines) said...

    Wara is yum, esp fried. I'd love to try making this but where to get cheese cloth...?

    I thought wara was made from cow milk o. (Excuse my ignorance, lol). Or is there a cow milk one as well as a soya one?

    Adura Ojo (Naijalines) said...

    I also didn't know wara was tofu. Thanks for the enlightenment:-) I don't like the processed tofu sold in the supermarkets. But this should be good.

    9jaFOODie said...

    @Naiajlines; You are right, there is wara that is made from Cow milk and that is the "real" wara. it's usually made by the Hausa Fulanis. This is "wara soya" which follows the same process as the aforementioned but it's made from Soy. I don't like the supermarket tofu either, always too soft and too processed for my taste.
    Thanks much for the comment!!

    Myne Whitman said...

    Soy milk was a staple in our house for a while, but never heard of this. I may give it a try.

    9jaFOODie said...

    I love soy milk!!!! ...... just process it further and you have this :). Thanks Ms Myne!

    Chic Therapy said...

    i remember my dad mentioning 'wara'...never seen it

    Okeoghene said...

    Heard of the cow milk wara, never knew you could also make it with soy milk. Also never knew wara is tofu. Will try it.

    therealworld said...

    Wow!I'm feeling nostalgic....I lived my childhood in Ilorin as well (Pry, Sec & Uni). Yeah, I liked wara from the cow milk (boiled or fried), never tasted the soya one, I don't like the smell of soya.

    9jaFOODie said...

    @Chic; The "Real" wara is made from fresh cow milk, this version is alot healthier.

    @Okeogene; definitely do, cow milk wara is same as cottage cheese ( process further) and Tofu is (wara soy). Thanks for stopping by!!

    @Therealworld; waooo!! you are a true "ilorinite" ... I love cow milk wara as well, especially the freshly made kind.

    The Corner Shop said...

    Really? This is the first time i'm seeing this. Nigeria has tofu?? Interesting! Wish i was over at yours to taste it :D

    Adiya
    http://thecornershopng.blogspot.com

    Ibhade said...

    A common meal in the North...when i served in Jos, I ate it but not a great fan of it sha...weldone.

    A-9ja-Great said...

    Never tasted it,but i can't deny you make it look inviting.Nice one again 9jaFOODie

    9jaFOODie said...

    @Adiya, yes lol, Nigeria has tofu. Wish u could taste it too :D @Ibhade; you are right, its quiet common up north.@ 9jagreat; yeah, most pple havnt heard of it, u shld try it if u ever come across it :)

    Stella Kodi said...

    I've never heard of this food...but it sounds healthy...though it seems like a lot of work...

    Madame Sting said...

    Hey girl, please email me at nigerianscorpio@gmail.com. I have a question for you. Thanks.

    9jaFOODie said...

    @Stella... yes, I agree it's a lot of work. the end result is worth it thou :)

    @Madame Sting; I am on it!! :)

    Karima said...

    looks good!

    9jaFOODie said...

    Thanks Karima :)