Egusi with Bitter leaves
1 cup blended egusi
¼ cup blended crayfish
¼ cup dried bitter leaves (Ewuro)
2 cups finely chopped spinach*
2 cubes Maggi or Knorr (bullion cube)
1tsp dried pepper
¼ cup palm oil + 2Tspn groundnut oil
Choice of meat and fish – precooked (Oxtail, tripe, beef, goat meat, stock fish and dried fish)
Salt to taste
*I used YU-choy in mine instead of spinach, it holds color better and has less water, reminds of shoko.
- Set a medium pot on Medium heat; add in the palm + groundnut oil. Heat up the oil for 3mins
- Combine the egusi and blended crayfish, add in ¼ cup of water, and mix with a spoon until you have a thick paste.
- With a teaspoon, ball up the egusi and drop into the oil bits at a time until all your egusi is in the oil.
- Add ½ cup water to the pot, do not mix. Cover the pot and leave to cook for 5-6mins
- Add in the bullion cubes, dried pepper and precooked meat to the Egusi. Mix and taste for seasoning, then add in salt as needed. Cover and cook for another 3mins
- Add in your bitter leaves and spinach. Stir. Cook for another 6-8mins
Did you Know; to get perfectly round egusi balls in your soup, you can add in 1 egg to every 1 cup of egusi, the result is perfect egusi balls and you will never know the egg was added.
Pls Remember to Vote Modern African Cuisine as the Best food blog for the Nigerian Blog Award :)