July 6, 2011

Egusi ( with bitter leaves)

Egusi with Bitter leaves

Ingredient

1 cup blended egusi
¼ cup blended crayfish
¼ cup dried bitter leaves (Ewuro)
2 cups finely chopped spinach*
2 cubes Maggi or Knorr (bullion cube)
1tsp dried pepper
¼ cup palm oil + 2Tspn groundnut oil
Choice of meat and fish – precooked (Oxtail, tripe, beef, goat meat, stock fish and dried fish)
Salt to taste
*I used YU-choy in mine instead of spinach, it holds color better and has less water, reminds of shoko.


Direction
  • Set a medium pot on Medium heat; add in the palm + groundnut oil. Heat up the oil for 3mins
  • Combine the egusi and blended crayfish, add in ¼ cup of water, and mix with a spoon until you have a thick paste.
  • With a teaspoon, ball up the egusi and drop into the oil bits at a time until all your egusi is in the oil.
  • Add ½ cup water to the pot, do not mix. Cover the pot and leave to cook for 5-6mins
**If using dried bitter leaves, boil some water and pour it over the leaves to soften it**
  • Add in the bullion cubes, dried pepper and precooked meat to the Egusi. Mix and taste for seasoning, then add in salt as needed. Cover and cook for another 3mins
  • Add in your bitter leaves and spinach. Stir. Cook for another 6-8mins
Your soup is ready, serve with your choice of OKELE. EnJoY!!

Did you Know; to get perfectly round egusi balls in your soup, you can add in 1 egg to every 1 cup of egusi, the result is perfect egusi balls and you will never know the egg was added. 
 
Pls Remember to Vote Modern African Cuisine as the Best food blog for the Nigerian Blog Award :)

36 comments:

@ilola said...

Thanks for the wifery education. You just saved my 'egusi life'

nutritionalert said...

Lip-licking!
Delicious!
Try this with snail and fresh bitter leaves and get an over the top taste/flavour.

N.I.L (Naijamum in London) said...

mm mmm mmmmmmm!!!

Agree with Nutritionalert that snail adds a certain 'something something'

+ I just have to add stockfish and iru (locust beans) to mine

Food sweet sha :)

9jaFOODie said...

@ilola...lol...u r welcome.

@Nutritionalert + Nijamum: I went snail hunting o, unfortunately I couldn't find any in the stores I went to. o well.

Anonymous said...

wow i am salivating. I cook mine differently. l am going to try your method next time. i feel like eating egusi nau lol

BSNC

Anonymous said...

Nice. please where can I get Kilishi in London?

Anonymous said...

wow thanx,
I've never been able to get my egusi to retain its lumpy shape because I drop it into liquid rather than oil. will be trying this next time

Madame Sting said...

This is different from the way i make it.

Natural Nigerian said...

Bitterleaf gives Egusi soup a kick you can't get from using Ugu.

Sisi Yemmie ™ said...

im sooo going to try this method!

Muse Origins said...

YUUUUUMMMM!! You've come again! *side eye*

Adiya
Muse Origins (formerly The Corner Shop)

9jaFOODie said...

@Anon 1 ; please do
@Anon 2 ; I don't live in London, I can research for you thou
@Madame Sting; I know, depending on what I am in the mood for, I also have a couple of ways of making it
@NN; right you are
@Sisi Yemmie; yeiii.. pls do
@Muse ; lol...

os said...

Looks really really yummy.

Never tried this method of using only dried pepper and first "frying" the egusi but will sure do.

NikkiSho said...

God is good!!! nna you dey try o.
WANT!!! :(

Breeze said...

You sure say this one no be wickedness or rather well put. Na Trap you dey take this ya blog set.. See as water dey come out for person mouth. Abeg you for paste some sample of this Egusi on ur blog make person take cool down im temprature. Shey you get?

9jaFOODie said...

@OS... yeiii... pls do, sure you will like it *fingers crossed*

@Nikkisho:lol...I will post you some

@Breeze; lol...LWKMD.. u are hilarious.. Hahhha..I go post some for una to taste o. Thanks much for stopping by :)

BSNC said...

I am still salivating from yesterday lol.

9jaFOODie said...

LOL..Pele hen

Abi Tobi said...

o m goodness! I think I need to live with u for a few months lol

thanks for d reciepe

9jaFOODie said...

Hahah..you are welcome :).

Damilola Jewel said...

oh me oh my...the egusi looks too good...ahh....

HoneyDame said...

Cookign right now.... using this recipe...I (swear) u are a miracle..I am awaiting my peppersoup recipe o...hopefully before I become a Tao Tse Sung!

9jaFOODie said...

@Damilo; Thanks much!
@Honeydame; awww..Thanks. I will be making the pepper soup today :)

Adura Ojo (Naijalines) said...

Yum. I like it with as much of the green as possible:-)

TeeEhm said...

reading it alone is watering my mouth...I'll 4 defo cook it!

Titi's Passion said...

Wow I want some eba with this pronto!

9jaFOODie said...

@Naijaline; I feel you, for me it depends on what I am in the mood for.

@TeeEhm: hahahha... please do :)

@Titi:lol... eba coming up

Surprise said...

This is how Mrs. Surprise prepares my egusi mixed with bitter leaf. Each time I want to 'look outside' and I remember the 'cookery' dexterity of Mrs. Surpris, I quickly 'comot my face for outside'. LOL

Seshe James said...

Another mouth watery food.... I am quite good at cooking egusi.. I will try your method..

9jaFOODie said...

Pray do, send me your recipe as well, I like learning new tricks.

Paige The Blogger said...

i love egusi!!! and it is a firm favourite of my husband, who happens to be Itaian.

the recipe i make is quite different. I have to try this recipe.

http://paigetheblogger.com

9jaFOODie said...

@Paige;isn't it amazing how there are so many variations of Egusi.
How do you make yours??

lamiloly said...

this looks delish. thank God i came across this been wanting to learn how to prepare egusi, will try mine this week hope it turns out fine

Vee4ViBranT said...

OMG this is to dies for....

ZLolita said...

This is some Legit stuff! love your blog :)

Martinezckon said...

God is good!!! nna you dey try o. WANT!!! :(