July 20, 2011

Mackerel Stew

I got a request to do a post on Mackerel(Titus) stew, I already did a post on it last year so this is a recycled post.The sauce above has mackerel and Tilapia.

Ingredient
4 large roma tomatoes
2 large bell peppers (tatashe)
2 habanera peppers (rodo)
1 small onion
4 all spice seed ( crushed)
2 maggi cubes
Small ginger
1 tsp sea salt (to taste)
1/4 vegetable oil+ 1Tsp palm oil
2 large mackerel(titus) or tilapia
Direction
  • Cut, clean and season the fish with some salt and black pepper (set aside) the longer the better
  • Combine tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, ginger, and habanera pepper in a blender, Blend to a paste.Set blended pepper on high heat for 10mins ( this helps to reduce the water content)
  • In a different pot, combine the vegetable oil and palm oil. once the oil is hot, add in the parboiled pepper. Add in salt, maggi and the cleaned fish. cover the pot simmer on medium heat for 15-20 mins.
Serve on Rice or pasta. There is a popular fish sauce amongst old time logicians known as Omoyo ( it is a light fish sauce that is usually prepared with fresh fish) Click Here for a post on it.

Enjoy !

21 comments:

Adura Ojo said...

Hmmmm....nice. Never tried this combo but something tells me it is better than all mackerel;-)

Karima said...

not usually a big fan of fish stew, but this looks soo good!!

Olori said...

ese gan gan ni o ...... my sis was looking for the name of this fish

Cannime said...

Yummilicious... Salmon stole mackerel's place in my heart.. but this post is making me want to renew the love:)

Myne Whitman said...

I wanted to point out there were two different kinds of fish but you already noted that. Looks yummy!

9jaFOODie said...

@Adura Ojo- it is, be sure to try it with all spice seed, it makes all the difference

@Karima: thanks, try is awesome :)

@Olori: e kaabo. lol. happy I could help

@Cannime: salmon is awseome, I get that mackerel hitch every now and again.

@Ms Myne: nicely spotted. lol. thanks much :)

Titi's Passion said...

This will go so well with some white rice:)

Ms.Buki said...

Oh my goodness! This looks so yum! I'm gonna cook it over the weekend. My mouth is watering. I love fish stew!

9jaFOODie said...

@Ms Titi: you are right :)

@Ms Buki: YEIIII... let me know how you like it.

Best lifer said...

Gosh, my mouth is watering. Every time I come on this blog my stomach just starts to growl... :(

LE DYNAMIQUE PROFESSEUR said...

Chei! I can hear those fishes calling my name.. haha
- LDP

enybees-hub said...

Chei the fish is MOST conspicuous oh,that's all I can see....lol

Breeze said...

I wish I can jus wack any of this food on the page anytime I land here. Yummy! yummy!

9jaFOODie said...

LWKMD... thanks for the comments everyone.

N.I.L (Naijamum in London) said...

This looks nice....but I HATE mackerel!
The taste is just too strong for me.
xoxox

9jaFOODie said...

waooo...NIL.. hate is a strong word. lol. Have you ever tried wild caught mackerel? Fillet it and grill or roast it. when you come Visit me hennnn... I will make sure I cook mackerel for you :D

@ilola said...

9JaFOOdie, ou don do am again. Please, lemme make a suggestion. When you are putting up your recipes, try to translate the grammar to the market woman language as you have some naija audience that don't understand some language of yours.
For example, Bullion cube is maggi, abi? Bell pepper is shombo, is that right? Please, which one is habanera pepper and roma tomatoes.
Please, try to translate your grammars in future.
Thanks

9jaFOODie said...

@ilola: thanks a million for the suggestion. lol... it's a really smart one oo. I will modify this particular post and try to put a glossary of ingredients somewhere on the blog.

Seshe James said...

Yummy...... Perfect. xxx

Beauty Magnet said...

Hey ooo! Kill me softly Biko! I never venture on this page when I'm hungry...Lolz, ok some recipe to try this weekend.

9jaFOODie said...

Thanks ladies :)