August 2, 2011

Ata DinDin ( Fried Pepper Sauce)




Ata Dindin Is Yoruba language literally meaning Fried Pepper. This is one of the most versatile sauces you can possibly make. The combinations are endless. You can use it as a sauce for rice and pasta, you can refine it further into soups like egusi, Efo , Ewedu ati ata.  With a few tweaks and addition of Orishirishi(insides of cow) you can make it into Ofada sauce. Simply fried and properly stored, it can last up to 5weeks.
*For my sauce I used ata wewe (Thai or Tabasco Chili) as the main sauce of heat, feel free to use rodo (scotch Bonnet) or shombo (Kashmir chilli). READ MORE

Ata Dindin
Ingredient
Ata wewe * (about 20-25)
2 large onions (cleaned and chopped)
1 large ginger root (cleaned and chopped)
1 bunch fresh Thai Basil (optional)
5 large tomatoes
3 cups oil of choice (canola, groundnut or palm oil)
salt and Bouillon cube(maggi) to taste

Peppered Ponmo
 I used some of the sauce above, mixed with some boiled ponmo, added in some blended dried prawns, cooked for another 15mins on low heat so the ponmo can "Take in the pepper" and here we are.

Efo ( Alata Swe swe)
Alata-SweSwe is a Yoruba (word? ) used to describe something with an in and out peppery note. Sort of a now you feel it now you don't type situation (All my Yoruba people, feel free to correct me if I am wrong please, all I am is a Yoruba language enthusiast).

Again I used the Ata Dindin sauce mixed in with dried catfish, tomato paste, cooked apple wood snail, cooked goat meat, fresh spinach, blended crayfish, and some locust beans. Mix your ingredient as you please using whatever quantity you want, there isn't a right or wrong way.

Happy New Month and Happy Ramadan!

31 comments:

igbomarriage said...

This looks delish! The pepper is making my eyes water but my stomach doesn't really care.

Pretty Lashes said...

This looks really yum, I actually make my stew this way cuz it has more flavour.
xxx

Madame Sting said...

looks yummy. Unfortunately i can't eat spicy foods.

Natural Nigerian said...

You are now decrating the food well well before taking a picture: Wicked!, lol!

Sisi Yemmie ™ said...

I love spicy food! which one is ata wewe? is it the one u used to decorate the first pic?

The Relentless Builder said...

I remember hearing "Alata swe swe" in a song by King Sunny Ade (I think), but sadly, that's all I know about it.

On another note, ata din din is quite versatile and as lover of all things spicy, I'm lovin' this.

Okeoghene said...

Yummy

Noah's Crew said...

Looks so yummy, great job on the presentation. Ok, maybe I'll just move to Canada since you refused to move to the US lol

9jaFOODie said...

@igbomarriage: lol. Thanks much

@Pretty Lashes: I agree :)

@Madame Sting: ish! why now? now are missing out oo :(

@NN: had to incorporate the raw pepper somehow. Thanks :D

@Sisi yemmie: yes, the pepper in the picture

@RB: LOL... hahah... it's probably from the song. Thanks

@Okeoghene: Thanksss :)

@Noah's Crew: Thanks jere :D, HAHAHHA... move plsssss

Nenyenwa said...

chei! my sister I miss coming to look at your mouth watering pictures lol

NikkiSho said...

Alata swe swe made me smile sha..its been long i heard that word :D...that efo riro looks yummy..i love spicy foods!!!

Myne Whitman said...

25 peppers? That must be very hot o...

LE DYNAMIQUE PROFESSEUR said...

Erm... just exactly how hot is this ata dindin o? In pictures it looks both hot and 'hot'.. lol

- LDP

Folarin Kolawole said...

I just finished eating lunch and you're making me hungry all over again oh... Nive one..keep it up

N.I.L (Naijamum in London) said...

Just my kind of food - the spicier the better. Yum

So, so versatile. The very fact that we have tomatoes, onions and pepper on this earth is proof that our God loves us :))
Happy new month

9jaFOODie said...

@Nenyenwa: welcome back!

@Nikkisho: lol... I know eiiii. hahah

@Ms Myne: it is scary hot, you can always vary the heat level with some more tomatoes or less chilli

@LDP: lol... it is very very hot o, not for the faint hearted. loll.

@Folarin: my bad :D thanks much!

@N.I.L: you know se! I wonder what we will be eating otherwise o. Thanks much.

Abi Tobi said...

following and practicing your recipes is the begining of keeping the mouths and a portion of our men's hearts lol j/k

I love ur blog.. please don't stop! personally helpful :)

Anya Posh said...

yummicious-looking ponmo and goat meat mede-mede! you always have me coming back for more. It's like I have to import you to ottawa to come do some madness in my kitchen! I like everything i see!

gretel said...

I can't believe I wasn't following your blog,*knock on my head*,now how many dishes have I missed???? *nowcrying**

Tamunoibifiri Mobolaji-Kamson said...

hmmmm my dear one cant be on a diet and be your friend. this is so tempting.
www.secretlilies.blogspot.com

9jaFOODie said...

@Abi Tobi: lol.. right you are :D
tHANKS mUCH

@Anya: hahahah I haven't heard mede mede in so long.. yes pls, I will gladly bring myself to Ottawa

@gretel: pLS don't cry love, it's never too late. Welcome to M.A.C.

@TMK: lol.... hahahah... Food doesn't make people Fat, over-consumption of the wrong things does :D.

Mounah said...

you're making me hungry,lol

Muse Origins said...

i've never had this. Sounds interesting. I want :D
Adiya
Muse Origins (Creative Nigerian Features)
Muse Origins

enybees-hub said...

Kai MAC hmm u no fit killi ‎​​me o,but I don take down the recipe sharpaly sharpaly...‎​ℓ☺ℓ

Btw,R u Yoruba?

9jaFOODie said...

@Mounah: sorry hon lol

@Adiya: hahah...I will send some your way

@Enybees-Hub: lol... you are such a foodie! love it! ---Hummm...am I Yoruba? that is 1 tough question to answer ooo... I am NIGERIA! not Nigerian oo..NIGERIA. lmaoooo.

Prism of an immigrant said...

D ponmo...... I want. You are a good cook

9jaFOODie said...

@Prism: awwww... means a lot. Thanks! I will DHL some ponmo your way.

Ayo O said...

Just tried out your ata din din recipe and my family loved it:). Thanks for the hook up. Will definately be visiting often. Well done!

9jaFOODie said...

Awww .. I am sooo happy to hear that :) Pls come often and spread the word :D

os said...

Please, what is or where did you get "cooked apple wood snail"?

I was craving peppered snails and went looking for snails last weekend at a Chinese store but all I saw there were conches and they didn't look like the snails I know (their shells were somehow).

9jaFOODie said...

I got it from the Asian store, they usually sell it frozen.