August 30, 2011

Beans Benefits (and how to avoid the gas effect)

Google Image

It saddens me when people tell me they don’t like beans, I just feel like crying (maybe not so dramatic). I love beans, I went through a phase of “no beans” when I was in high school because all the cool kids didn’t like beans. But I got over it and decided that my disliked food will be “yam porridge”, oh my dramatic teenage years. Since my next 3 recipe posts are going to be beans related, I decided to put up a "convincing" argument on why you should all eat beans :)


The first thing people complain about when they talk about beans is gas; I guess we should get down to the science of why beans gives us gas;

Many edible beans contain oligosaccharides, a type of sugar molecule,an anti-oligosaccharide enzyme is necessary to properly digest these sugar molecules unfortunately the normal human digestive tract does not contain the molecules. The job of digestion is then typically done by bacteria in the large intestine; this digestion process produces flatulence-causing gases as a byproduct


So how can we avoid/reduce gas?


  • Soak your beans prior to cooking 4-6hr or overnight. Soaking loosens the skin and releases the gas causing oligosaccharide
  • Change the water for the beans a couple of times (while soaking and while cooking)
  • Slow cooking is the best option for beans, the longer the beans is cooked the more gas is released
  • Don’t add salt while cooking, it is extremely important for the beans to be extremely tender to prevent gas and sodium prevents softening (add salt when the beans is tender enough to eat)
  • On the medication front (I am not a fan) the enzyme that breaks down oligosaccharides (alpha-galactosidase) which is derived from the fungus Aspergillus niger is available under the brand name Beano.

Now that we know how to better cook beans,why should we eat it anyway?

Beans are high in fiber (soluble and insoluble), a cup of cooked blacked eyed beans has 9.5gs of fiber,you will have to eat about 11 cups of white rice to get that much fiber. Beans also contain;

  • Soluble fiber (to lower cholesterol thereby lowering risk of heart disease).
  • Also high in Protein (for the building and repair of body tissues among other things)
  • Complex carbohydrate (for energy)
  • folate (for body tissues that have fast cell production and turnover, such as bone marrow and the intestinal tract)
  • potassium (for the proper function of all cells, tissues and organs in the body) Healthy adults need at least 2000 milligrams per day, and 1cup of black-eyed peas provide over 2296 milligrams.
Beans also contain other Micronutrients: Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Sodium, Zinc, Vitamin, Thiamin Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B6, B12 and A.

To put things in perspective, one cup of cooked Black eyed peas has: ~200calories (30% protein and 70% carbohydrate) and a little below 50% of your daily fiber need. Without the addition of oil, there is 1g of fat in 1 cup of beans.Beans are a great way to incorporate additional nutrients into your diet without additional calories or fat.


African recipes requiring beans: Moin moin, akara, rice and beans, Ewa Agoyin, gbegiri, Adalu, sauced beans, beans and stew, Beans n yam, beans n dodo, plantain in beans.
 

I hope you will all join the beans wagon, I will be posting recipes on Rice n Beans, Akara and sauced beans in the days ahead.

36 comments:

deolascope said...

Wow! Thanks for the lessons. I've heard about soaking beans first but i didnt know it should be soaked for so long,as in overnight. Wont that make it too soft or remove the brown skin and make it look like you are about to prepare moi-moi?

stelzz said...

i used to hate beans but i learnt how to cook it so it doesn't have the gas effect. I'll be watching out for your beans posts. Thanks for enlightening us some more

9jaFOODie said...

@Deolascope: If you are using Black eyed pees, soaking it overnight should not remove the skin. Soaking it for 4-6 hours will work as well, the more you soak, the less time you spend cooking it.

@Stelzz: You are welcome love, thanks for the comment.

@ilola said...

As for me, I don't like beans o. The only kind of beans I can stand is baked beans and ewa agonyin.

I can't even stand where beans is being cooked cos I don't like the aroma when it is cooking. My oga likes it and we are still fighting over it cos he knows I won't want to cook it when we are married, lol

enybees-hub said...

I've grown to like beans. I didn't really like beans as a child cos we ate a lot of it every other day. Then Secondary school thought ‎​​me to eat it if not I'd suffer from hunger pangs oh! ‎​ℓ☺ℓ
I ate Beans today (with some white rice and stew). I love rice and beans cooked-mixed together- the local way with crayfish, dried fish,maybe iru etc,I love ewa agonyin so much and moin moin...I ate a lot of akara when in growing up years.
Will follow and perhaps write the recipes :)

9jaFOODie said...

@olola: You can use red onions in your beans, it helps to reduce the smell. you better cook beans for oga ooo....lol

@enybees-hub: I love rice n beans as well.. i like it very much in fact. lol....I had some akara last weekend :)

Mstizzle said...

Beans and corn, beans and yam, beans and plantain. My fave's beans and plantain (as in made together). Like enybees-hub, I've grown to like beans over the years. In fact I think I more than like it now. I love it.

Olori said...

LOL U HAD ME AT THE TITLE

e__victor said...

1. Doesn't the oligosa_somthing have nutritional value too?

2. Could your no-beans phase be responsible for your immense height?

3. What if you intentionally wanted to make someone fart all day?

This blog is teaching people how to create weapons of mass destruction. I approve.

That said. I like beans. Looking forward to the posts :D

Nightingale said...

Job well done sis.. I love beans but it is really soft so i'm usually reluctant cooking it.. thanks for the tip:)

NikkiSho said...

Great post....i use to hate it in high school cos i was in the hostel and they gave us that to eat very often

lol..i like the how to prevent gas effect..hahahaha cool...oh and i love love love moin-moin elepo (w/ palm oil) :D

kitkat said...

you're so well informed, it'll be such a weist if u dnt start your restaurant! i personally like beans, it's yummy lol

Myne Whitman said...

LOL....thanks for sharing. I soak my beans but we use pressure cooker most times after that.

looking forward to your recipes.

Adura Ojo (Naijalines) said...

@ 9jaFOODie
I am glad I read this. I was just talking to my son last evening about tuwo and gbegiri and I'm looking forward to cooking gbegiri next week. I spent my whole childhood and most of my adult years so far hating beans. But i've learnt to appreciate beans in the last couple of years due to its many nutritional values. But the fun air (gas) has always put me off so thanks for the enlightenment on how to avoid it:D

Looking forward to your recipes.

LE DYNAMIQUE PROFESSEUR said...

Forwarding this link straight way... to who, u know? lol

- LDP

Vee4ViBranT said...

lol i hate bean but ur arguments seems alot convincing looking forward to ur next posts on it...maybe i will change my mind.
first time here...thanks for making this blog...love everything u cook.

Nenyenwa said...

u r hilarious my friend :) i luv beans too but never thought of justifying myself- I ended up making hubby love it but now he says he loves it only the way I prepare it. My fav is beans and plantain porridge but I love it on everything rice ...

9jaFOODie said...

@MSTIZZLE: you just inspired more recipes, my mind totally skipped beans and plantain and plantain in beans. oo I am loving beans even more.

@Olori: lol

@e_victor: 1) no it doesn't 2) what are you talking about? I am very tall for my height :D 3)lwkmd.. I see how you think now eiii. you like beans??? hahah..I so don't believe that

@Nikkisho: same here, we had beans everyday in one form or another in high. Yes to moin moin elepo!!

@Kitkat: yeiiii.... it's very yum:) and yes, restaurant soon, thanks love.

@Ms Myne: The joy of pressure cooker! I need to get me one. I recently learned about soaking.

@Naijaline: Gbegiri...OMG gbegiri, I want some. our cook at home made the best one, she makes it with dried fish(shawa) n locust beans, so pedestrian but so so yum. we only had it for Sunday lunch with amala n fried meat stew. I want some *and she cries**... I should try my hand on it. you should take pictures n put a recipe on your blog or mine :). Beans is awesome..yeiii to #teambeans

@LDP: I do know.. lol...

@Vee4vinran T: waooo.. welcome to MAC love, yeiii.. I am totally happy to hear that, hopefully you will join the beans team.

@Nenyenwa: lol...#TEAMBEANS: thats awesome... yes yes.. beans n rice is always a perfect marriage, in plantain or with plantain works just as great.

Fashion Rehab said...

I like beans a lot, but its unfortunate that I cannot eat it anymore beacuse it gives me a heart burn :(


Fashion Rehab

9jaFOODie said...

Eyah..sorry dear.

gretel said...

I LOVE BEANS SO MUCHHHHHH. and I use pressure pot in cooking it,it makes it easier,tender yet not smashed,can't wait for the new recipes.

Spesh said...

Yay for beans!!!
its my favorite type of protein. looking forward to more beans related posts :D

9jaFOODie said...

@Gretel; Yeiiii for teambeans :)

@Spesh: teambeans all the way. Thanks dear.

Koinonia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
*SweetlyBroken* said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
*SweetlyBroken* said...

9jaFoodie, don't mind all those people that don't like beans. Lol. They don't know what they are missing out on. Beans is the bomb!!! Hehe. Honestly though. It can be eaten with bread, garri, alone...etc. I love beans. Thanks for elighten me about beans and the facts behind it

Mstizzle said...

O_O Did u guys hear that?!?! I INSPIRED 9jafoodie!!!! **break dancing, moon walking, everything**

mstizzle said...

O_O Did u guys hear that?!?! I INSPIRED 9jafoodie!!!! **break dancing, moon walking, everything**

9jaFOODie said...

lol...yes you did!

Natural Nigerian said...

Ewa Agoyin for president!

This is really valuable information - I hope more people eat beans because of it. Thanks for taking the time to break it down.

9jaFOODie said...

Yes NN... team beans forever, I LOVE beans, I don't think enough can be said for the nutrition it offers, and it's relatively inexpensive. Thanks for your comment!

The Relentless Builder said...

(in announcer's voice): Beano, and there'll be gas! So that's the secret behind that? Interesting!

This was very informative. Thanks a lot!

9jaFOODie said...

You are welcome always

kameron law said...

I think this is a good recipe because I look at things just to see how they taste because I'm trying to be a cook gotta learn how to cook everything from differ countries.

kameron law said...

This is great I cooking it now going great I will send pics

Sarah said...

Interesting post! I've always been rather intrigued with the bean-gas phenomenon. If your interested, check out http://nutritionfacts.org/blog/2011/12/05/beans-and-gas-clearing-the-air/ Scientific-based, but funny as heck!