January 23, 2011
2 cups beans (black eyed peas)
5 cups water
2 cubes maggi
medium onion (chopped)
1/4 cup palm oil
1Tspn dried pepper
2 cups chopped yam or sweet potatoes
Add water to a fairly large pot, add the chopped onion and cover on high heat until water starts to boil
Rinse the beans in cold water and add to the boiling water
Cook below medium head for 2 hrs
Add in salt, maggi, pepper, oil and yam
Cook for another hour.
January 18, 2011
Oven Baked Sweet & Spicy Wings
1.5 Lb fresh chicken wings (cleaned)
3 Tb spoon sugar
1tsp soy sauce
1 Tsp hot chilli powder ( you can substitute suya spice)
A pinch cumin
salt to taste
3Tspn water or lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, pour over wings. mix in with a spatula until chicken is finely coated.
- Turn over on to 350f, place seasoned wings in a large tray and set in the oven for 20mins
- Remove chicken from the oven, increase oven heat to 400f, sprinkle on a little more sugar On the wings. place the tray back in the oven and bake for another 10mins
January 15, 2011
large size Banana leaf
fresh basil (scented leaf)
salt and pepper to taste
whole fish fillet ( your choice of fish, I used salmon in this recipe)
season fish with salt and pepper, add a couple of basil leafs in-between the 2 fillets. marinate over night.
Clean banana leaf and wrap around the marinated fish
Turn oven on to 375f, place wrapped fish on a tray. leave in the oven for 25mins
Unwrap and serve.
This is what I expect stir-fry to be made of if it was part of our staple food combination.
2 cups fresh tripe (cut)
2 cups fresh gizzard
1 large size onion (cut)
1 large size red bell pepper (cut)
2 Tspn palm oil
2 cups mushrooms (optional)
A dash black pepper
3 cubes maggi
Salt to taste
- In a pot on medium heat, combined tripe, Gizzard, salt, 2 cubes maggi, and black pepper. Boil on medium heat ( no need to add water) for 25mins. drain excess water
- place another pot or wok on low heat, add in palm oil.
- once oil is hot, add in onions. stir add in mushrooms, red pepper, left over magi, some salt and pepper. stir for 5 mins.
- Add in the cooked meat. simmer for another 5mins.
Oxtail with caramelized onion.
Boiled Oxtail seasoned with salt, Knor cubes, black pepper & garlic powder. Heat and cook time are the main factors in cooking oxtail, it has to be cooked on minimum heat for 2-3hrs to achieve proper taste and texture.
January 12, 2011
January 8, 2011
- I 500ml tin Coconut Milk
- 2 cups rice
- 1-cup water or chicken stock
- 2 seasoning cubes
- 1tsp salt
- A dash cardamom, allspice and nutmeg
- 1 Tspn olive oil
- Half white onion: chopped
- ½ cup whole kernel corn
- 1 large green pepper: chopped
- Shrimps pre cooked (optional)
- On medium heat, combine coconut milk and water.
- Add in salt, cardamom, allspice, nutmeg, seasoning cubes and rice. Simmer until dried.
- In a large skillet, add in oil, onion, green pepper and kernel corn. Stir continuously for 4 mins.
- Add in already cooked rice, and shrimps. Taste for salt
- Cook for another 2 mins.
- Serve with Fish and Plantain
Posted by 9jaFOODie at 1/08/2011 02:05:00 PM